Tom Wells obtained the following history of Mount Vernon School District starting with Lincoln School (same location, different building) in 1891 through projects completed in 2011.  Kind of fun to read about this.  Thanks Tom!

Prior to 1891, the history of Mount Vernon Schools is not definitie.  Schools were located in the downtown area of Mount Vernon and one was located at the corner of First Street and Washington.

Lincoln School: 1005 South 11th Street (2012 enrollment 400)
    1891 - first built as a two-story brick building.  The first floor housed grade school students and the second floor was a 2 year high school. (I'm told this building was where the playground is now and the playground was where the school is now)
   
 1938 - Original building was torn down and the present building (the one many of us attended for at least 7th and 8th grade) was built as a Public Works Administration project.
    1983 - Total retrofit of the 1938 building

Washington School: 1020 McLean Road (2012 enrollment 488)
    1905 - two-story wood frame building housing grades 1-8
    1950 - first section of current building constructed
    1953 - addition
    1960 - addition
    1983 - addition and total modernization
    1996 - remodel

Madison School: 907 East Fir (2012 enrollment 484)
    1954 - original core facility and classrooms constructed
    1960 - west wing addition
    1983 - East wing addition


Jefferson School: 1800 East Blackburn (2012 enrollment 583)
    1956 - original core facility and classrooms built
    1960 - classroom annex addition
    1983 - fieldhouse addition
    1995 - remodel

Cleveland School: Cleveland & Hazel Streets
    1937 - original building was constructed
    1972 - abandoned - students transferred to Lincoln School


Roosevelt School: 124 E. Lawrence
    1907 - three-story brick building constructed for use as a 4-year high school until 1922 
                 when new high school was built
    1922 - used as junior high (grades 7 & 8); housed 400 students (some of us went to 
                  Kindergarted there in 1952/1953)
    1972 -  abandoned for student use and became District Administration Offices. 
                  Formerly, the Administration Office was housed in WWII barracks on Division.

Centennial School:3100 Martin Road
     1989 - opens in September 1989
    1992 - School Board accepts addition to Centennial on November 18, 1992

Little Mountain School: 1514 South LaVenture (2012 enrollment 571)
    1996 - current facility was constructed

LaVenture Middle School: 1200 N. LaVenture Road (2012 enrollment 366)
    1972 - current facility was constructed, 7th and 8th grade students transferred from 
               Lincoln School
    2003 - remodel

Mount Baker Middle School: 2310 E. Section (2012 enrollment 481)
    1997 - current facility was constructed

Mount Vernon High School: history before occupancy of "Old Main" in 1922
    1891 - 2-year high school housed at Lincoln School, 1105 S. 11th
    1899 - 3-year high school course began when Mount Vernon and Riverside School
               Districts were combined
 
   1902 - 4-year high school course began
                              - Graduating class of 1903 consisted of 4 girls
                              - Graduating class of 1903-04 was 4 girls
                              - Graduating class of 1905 was 1 student
                              - School year of 1905-06 both classical and scientific courses were
                                 offered: classical course was accredited by University of Wash.
                              - In 1906-07 both courses were accredited by UW.  6 graduated.
    1908 - Number of high school students when Roosevelt opened was 80.

Mount Vernon High School: 314 N. 9th Street (2012 enrollment 1638)
    1922 - original Main Building (3-story brick) to house high school students; students
                  transferred from Roosevelt building; enrollment was 308
    1922 - gymnasium built
    1936 - vocational building added
    1950 - new gymnasium replaced 1922 gym as spectator sport arena
    1952 - agricultural building added
    1962 - science/math addition and Planetarium and home ec./business ed. addition
    1972 - cafetorium building added
    1983 - fieldhouse addition and modernization of 1950 gymnasium
    1990 - remodel
    1992 - remodel
    2005 - remodel and new Main addition
    2006 - career and technical education building constructed
    2006 - fine arts building - remodel of former library
    2011 - modernizaation of gym and field house